Importing keywords is very easy and it is beneficial in a group setting, like my office for example. We want everyone tagging images to have access to the same set of keywords. This reduces the number of mistakes due to hand-keying in terms. The library can be created and imported by following these easy steps listed below. They can also be found on Adobe's site here (scroll down a bit) or on This Site (better step-by-step instructions).
1) In a text editor such as Word or Pages, create a plain text document. This file type will have the ending .txt.
You can also create a system of keywords in in Excel.
2) Add your keywords, with these restrictions:
• Place one keyword per line
• Create sub categories by indenting keywords
You can put your keywords in any order, but Bridge will automatically alphabetize them.
In my example I have a list of pets. Notice the order they are in.
3) In Bridge, go to your keywords panel and click on the small drop-down arrow in the top right-hand corner. Click on Import.
4) Find the document on your machine and then click "Open".
5) The keywords are now added to your list. In my pet example, I had "Pets" as the main category. You will see that's the only item in my new keyword list. I need to click the little arrow beside it to see the sub categories.
Notice in the expanded list below that the items are alphabetized. The category "Birds" comes first, etc.
• When importing keywords, you will not overwrite the existing keywords that you already have in Bridge
• If you import a set of keywords, modify the text file and re-upload, it will only add new keywords. It will not overwrite, even if you're uploading the same-named text file.
• To Delete keywords you must drag the keyword to the trashcan icon within Bridge. Or select the keyword and click the trashcan icon.