March 14, 2011

Ignore Text Wrap InDesign

The Text Wrap feature is great for flowing text around an object. This is applied to the image, and all text that encounters the object will be forced to wrap. However if you want some text to overlay the image, or come within close proximity, it must be allowed to break that Text Wrap Frame.

Here's how:

1) Create your text box and object and set your object to "Text Wrap". In this example I have it to wrap around the bounding box and to have a .125" offset the entire way around the object.


2) Select the text box that you want to ignore the Text Wrap. (In my example I want the words "Duis Autem" to appear overtop of the image.) Right click on the text and select "Text Frame Options"


3) In the pop-up window, click on "Ignore Text Wrap", then click "OK"

4) Now the text ignores the wrap.


16 comments:

Design_NEO said...

VERY HELPFUL! Thank you for the illustrations. This is just what I was looking for.

Amy said...

Bless you. That was driving me nuts.

Jennifer brown said...

The "Ignore Text Wrap" feature isn't in an intuitive place. I'm glad this helped!

Wynne Brown said...

Thank you!! I'd never have found it ... and, of course, I was on deadline, and it was the last finicky detail...

Anonymous said...

IT JUST SAVED MY LIFE

Jennifer brown said...

I'm glad this was a lifesaver!

Carol P. said...

Thank you, thank you! This was driving me crazy!

Gerry C said...

Thought you might enjoy knowing, I silently thank you every time I refer back to this advice. G

Jennifer brown said...

Good to hear! Thanks for your positive feedback.

Unknown said...

Thanks Jen. Great tip!

Zephyrus said...

This was very helpful! Thanks!

Esther Verwoord said...


What if it doesn't work? Is there something else to look for? I have checked the Ignore box but text is still in hide (behind the illustration box)
Gr
Esther Verwoord

Jennifer brown said...

@Esther is your text box behind the illustration box layer? If it is, then you need to bring it to the front. Object > Arrange > Bring to Front.

eli said...

thank you so much! so helpfull and clear!

eli said...

thank yo so much! so helpful and clear!

elisheva said...

thank you so much! so helpful and clear!